Monday, July 28, 2008

We Finally Did It!!





Hello all! Well, I've finally forced myself to sit down and actually start this thing! It is so hard to believe that we have been here 7 months. At times it seems like we just moved in last week, and then it seems like we've been here forever! There is much to tell about our Iowa adventures so far, but that task seems daunting so I'll start with last weekend.

It occurred to me that I haven't seen much of this lovely state other than our little town and we haven't been that many places. Rob on the other hand, can drive most of the southeastern portion of Iowa with his eyes closed as he does it 5 days a week. Saturday we decided to drive north and take in the sites. Our original goal was to visit Dyersville where they filmed FIELD OF DREAMS. The field is just as it was in the movie and you can run the bases, etc. However, we took the scenic route and time just didn't allow it. We went to Anamosa, IA where we looked at several houses back in November/December. It is a quaint Willoughby-like town with antique shops, cafes, an acting theater and movie theater. It is also home to the National Motorcycle Museum which we decided to walk through. We saw many neat and very old bikes from the early 1900's to today. We saw Peter Fonda's bike from EASY RIDER and Evel Knievel's bike. (one of them anyway) The girls enjoyed it and we got a ton of pictures!

I should mention that Anamosa is also home to the Iowa State Penitentiary (picture above) which has housed some of the most dangerous criminals in Iowa. (www.asphistory.com for those that are curious.) This is also one of the reasons that we didn't choose Anamosa as our next home. One of the houses that we looked at happened to be right across the street from the courthouse which just happens to be right next to the penitentiary. On the flip side, the prison looks very much like a castle. The inmates built it in the 1800's and it is very majestic and regal.

Saturday afternoon (late) found us putting together a swing set for the girls. We had one in OH but left it there. (It was old and as I fondly referred to it, it was just a "tetanus shot waiting to happen.") Our new swing set has 3 swings (yea, no fighting for a swing), a merry-go-round for 3 kids (yea, no fighting to see who goes next), a slide, teeter totter and a trapeze bar. We lucked out because we not only got the last one, but it was on sale!!!!

We love our new house, pictures to follow, and have had many visitors so far. My parents were our first visitors in early April. We had lovely weather and went to the playground across the street and did some spring yard work. (It has been like Christmas for me watching our flowerbeds. I just don't know what is going to pop up next!) Memorial Day brought Bob, Tina, Josephine, Ryland and Kristin. We had a ball with them and Madelyn still asks where Kristin is! We were also able to celebrate Maggie's 4th birthday while they were here. Hard to believe the beginning of August is right around the corner and that will bring Cetta, Josephine and Melody!! The girls are totally excited for that one! I think their visit will coincide with Durant Days which is held in the park across the street!

School starts early this year, August 18 to be exact (and Uncle Tim's birthday!) Amber will be in the 7th grade and secretly I think that she is excited. Maggie starts pre-school on the 25th. She'll go every M-W-F from 9:00-11:30 AM. We went to see the school and it is very nice. They follow the Iowa State curriculum and the teacher has been there 17 years. Miss Becky is the sister of our neighbor and the aunt of Tyler who often comes over to play with "the girls." I did a lot of asking around regarding pre-schools, there are 3 here, and this is one everyone suggested. The pre-school also has a play group for kids 3 years old, but I don't think I can handle that. Sending one will be hard enough!

So much more to fill everyone in on, but I'm already being asked to go outside and play on the swing set!! Hugs to everyone, we miss you all!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very pink cowgirl bandanna is now attached to a suitcase making its way through India. Made me smile to see it, thought you'd smile, too.

Cailey317 said...

Just wanted to let you know in case you didn't, I will be coming to visit this month too!